Where we came from
The story of Mount Vernon Baptist Temple is best described by Psalm 118:23: “This is the LORD’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.”
In November 1993, God led Pastor David Wood Jr. to begin MVBT. The first meeting was held in the basement of the local YMCA. God blessed this new church from the first Sunday.
While our church has locations and we have a new pastor, the spirit of the church family is the same as it was from its inception. We love God and each other, and we genuinely want God to continue blessing and multiplying the cause of Christ through our church.
Today, the Mount Vernon Baptist Temple is a thriving testimony that God is still in the business of changing lives! Words could not describe God’s goodness in this place, and all of the glory belongs to God! The lives changed, the families rescued, and the victories won have all been by God’s amazing grace! To Him be all the glory for His wonderful works at MVBT!
THREE-FOLD PURPOSE STATEMENT
Loving God begins in the heart, with a personal relationship with Him. As we gather and participate in Christ-honoring worship services and respond to the preaching of God’s Word, this love flourishes. Mark 12:30 says, “And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.”
We grow together, in Christ, through the study of God’s Word. This occurs in each of our weekly services, in our smaller Connection Groups during Sunday School, and in one-on-one discipleship.
We reach others as we find a place of ministry in the local body. We also reach out by sharing the Gospel with those who need the Lord—through witnessing to friends, coworkers, neighbors, and loved ones, as well as in participating in church outreach and giving to missions.
As a church, our mission is to reach the world with the Gospel of Christ. We want to utilize every available biblical means, and we want to disciple and train every member to participate in accomplishing our church’s purpose.
VISION AND CORE VALUES
Unchanging, Long-term Vision for Mount Vernon Baptist Temple
MVBT exists to develop a thriving community of believers that is passionately reaching the world for Jesus Christ.
1. We center all we do on Christ. In all things, we seek to give Christ the preeminence. (Colossians 1:18, Revelation 4:11, 1 Corinthians 10:31)
2. We submit to God’s Word. Above all, we want to please God and stay true to His Word. We would rather be biblical than be popular. (2 Timothy 3:14-17, Acts 5:29, 2 Timothy 1:13)
3. We engage with the gospel. The truths of God’s Word apply equally to every generation and every background. Sharing the life-changing truth of the gospel is the most compassionate and important endeavor in which we can be involved. (Matthew 28:18-20, 1 Timothy 2:3-6)
4. We enjoy serving Jesus. We enjoy church life. Serving God is not simply a duty. It is fun, so we serve together with joy and passion. It is the outflowing of Christ in us. (Psalm 100:2, Nehemiah 8:10)
5. We live by faith. We believe God is able. We strive to be excellent. We sacrifice, believing God will replenish. (Ecclesiastes 9:10, Philippians 3:13-14, Daniel 6:3)
OUR LEADERSHIP TEAM
God has blessed Mount Vernon Baptist Temple with an amazing group of leaders to shepherd and guide us in a closer walk with our Savior.